Monday, May 2, 2011

Training for the Race: Part II


"...But I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ Jesus saved me for and wants me to be.  No, dear brothers and sisters, I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven." Philippians 3:12-14 (NLT)
The crowd is cheering, the band is playing, coaches are yelling, players are moving around, but the athlete has to keep his focus.  He has to keep his focus on the task at hand to get the goal.  When he follows through, he makes the goal.

In the hustle and bustle of life, we can get distracted from our purpose, and end up just going through the motions.  Or, it could be a case of being caught up in traditions, and not knowing why we go through the motions.  As an athlete would in training, we must avoid the things that will distract us from being effective.  We should forgo any distractions in being in fellowship with Christ.  I for one, am very distracted by Facebook and my cell phone.  I have to make myself ignore them and stay focused on my study of God's Word, and have that time with God.  What is distracting you from God?  From your relationship with Jesus?

In the above verse, Paul is saying the goal is to be like Christ, and be all that He wants us to be.  Paul says to focus your energies on this to reach the goal, the prize, for which God is calling us up to heaven for.  I agree that it does take all your energy to strive for this goal.  A prayer I pray regularly is to ask God to fill my heart and mind with his Word and Spirit so that what comes out will be a reflection of Him.  It's not the easiest; human nature tries to take over, but I find that when I stay focused on Him, I feel a longing to be with Him and to be like Him.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, that really hit the spot for me. I was so consumed yesterday with something that won't even matter in the end. Thanks for the perspective.

    ReplyDelete