Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Training for the Race: Part I

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?  Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training.  They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.  Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air.  No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."  1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (NIV)
Dedicated athletes train diligently to excel in their sport.  Spring football practice started yesterday in my town's high school.  It is about 4 or 5 months from when the season will start, but they're already out there training.  Just think of all the hard work that happens for the game - for the win - the prize.  Meetings to learn the plays, practices to put the plays into action, running to stay in shape, lifting weights to become stronger.  I would venture to say that some even watch their diet to be healthy as well.

Like athletes, Christians must also train to lead a Christ led life. We must also have self-discipline, self denial, and preparation.  We have an eternal prize at the end of our race, so we must not "run" aimlessly.  We have a purpose and a destination, so we must keep our eyes on the goal to win our reward in Christ's Kingdom.

When I think of ways that we prepare, I think of studying the Bible and going to worship and Sunday School to gain knowledge.  It's like the meetings the athletes have to learn their plays.  We have to know it to put it into action - live it and to pass it on . 

Self-discipline and self denial are ways for us to refuse worldly behavior and focus on Godly ways. As a dwelling place of the Holy Spirit, we must deny worldly ways as to not defile God's temple.  Also, we must deny ourselves to be a follower of Christ.  Jesus said, "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me.  If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it.  But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Good News, you will find true life." Mark 8:34-35 (NLT)

Next time I plan to explore keeping the distractions from our race for Christ at bay.  Until then, keep running!

No comments:

Post a Comment